Museum and History
Omaha was first named as Morristown in 1880 by former Confederate Lieutenant Thompson Morris; it was stop on the new St. Louis Southwestern Railway, which spurred the town's development as a trading center. The US Post Office had changed the name to Gavett. In 1886, a group of seven men from Randolph County, Alabama drew names from a hat to pick a new name; the winner, Hugh Ellis, was allowed to rename the settlement after a town in his home state, and he chose Omaha.
By 1890 Omaha had three churches, a school, a weekly newspaper, and a population of 450. The town was incorporated in 1914. A new enterprise of raising vegetable-plant seedlings for sale developed in the area. During the twentieth century, Omaha was the site of a shipping operation that sent millions of these seedlings to destinations throughout the United States. In 1980 it had a population of 960 and twenty-three rated businesses, reaching nearly 1,000 by the end of the 20th century and is still growing today.